|Funke Koleosho's Zobo "Tonic"|
Made from a plant, roselle, claiming to possess so much nutritional benefits, Zobo Tonic Drink packs a punch of health and well being. If I were president of the world, I would replace all fizzy drinks with this much healthier alternative. Read more about roselle/zobo plant here.
One of the few ways roselle is utilised is by making this very popular beverage from it. Its simple to make and so good for you, try it!
- 50g zobo flowers (you may use dried or fresh ones depending on which you can get. Note that the more flowers used per volume of water, the more concentrated your drink).
- 2 litres of water
- 10g of freshly crushed ginger (use more if you want a spicy hot drink)
- Half a teaspoon of ground cloves - optional)
- Half a teaspoon of allspice (pimento) - optional
- Some orange peels (optional)
- 1 stick of cinnamon or
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Sweetener (this is supposed to be a health drink so ensure you use only natural sweeteners like honey, and use little quantity). Alternatively you can blend with other naturally sweet fruit juices such as sugar cane juice, pineapple juice etc.
- Some rum or any hot drink of choice (for a little lift me up!) Optional
- Ensure the zobo flowers you are using are clean and free of nay debris or rot. Give them a quick wash to remove traces of fluff or sand.
- Transfer them into a large pot and add 2 litres of water, add the ginger, orange peel (if using), and cinnamon.
- Cover the pot and bring to the boil. Allow to boil for about 10 minutes. Turn the stove off.
- Now add the cloves and pimento if using. Stir in and set aside for another 30 minutes or more. The longer you leave the flowers to brew the more concentrated the resultant drink.
- Remove the zobo flowers and strain the drink through a fine sieve to remove sediments and other traces of spices or flowers.
- Add your sweetener (remember, this is supposed to be a health drink so ensure you use only natural sweeteners like honey, and use very little quantity. Alternatively you can blend with other naturally sweet fruit juices such as sugar cane juice, pineapple juice etc.) stir well and chill immediately. At this point also add your rum if using.
- Serve super chilled or on the rocks.
A tip: Before you add your sweeteners, fruit juice or hot drink(spirit), you can make iced zobo cubes by pouring some into ice trays and freezing overnight. Add the cubes to your water or other drinks to enjoy a refreshing drink every-time.
|Iced Zobo Cubes|
use to instantly refresh your water!