Coconut Oil & Locust Bean Dressing

Funke Koleosho's Coconut Oil &
Locust Beans Dressing
Eat coconut oil!!! ... because it's good for you.

I actively seek new ways to swap the oils I use in my cooking and food with coconut oil (wherever practicable that is). I eat coconut oil as though the "world is coming to an end"....the benefits are way too many to overlook it. (Read more about Coconut Oil here).

As it is, I already use coconut oil in my cooking, baking  and frying. I am now looking at using it in my salads.

So rather than use those sugar laden salad dressings, I concoct coconut oil "potions" as a substitute.

Coconut is an excellent carrier oil which means other ingredients mingle well together in it and with slight heating, their essences, flavours and aromas infuse extremely well.

The first one I tried was quite simple and straightforward. It was good enough for me and the thought that I was eating virgin coconut oil (the healthiest oil on earth) made it even much better for me. It did actually taste good. Try it.

What you need:
  • Virgin or pure coconut oil (if it has solidified, you would need to heat it a little to melt it)
  • Black pepper corns
  • Pink pepper corns
  • Locust beans (whole beans not the mashed up one. Rinse well and ensure that all particles are removed. Also rinse in some water with a dash of vinegar to remove some of the pungent odour. Then place in the oven (low temperature) for a short while to dry out the water/moisture.) Locust beans are like Marmite, you either love them or hate them. Sincerely this dressing wont be the same without them but their use is optional.)
  • Sea salt
  • A dash of lemon juice (optional)

What to do
  1. Place some coconut oil into a bowl. You wont need to make large quantities of this dressing so make the quantity that's just enough for your salad. 
  2. Heat the oil into liquid if solid. 
  3. Add your preferred quantity of freshly milled black peppers and pink pepper corns. 
  4. Divide the locust beans into two portions. Finely chop one portion and leave the second portion as whole beans. 
  5. Then add the locust beans to the oil along with the peppers and salt. 
  6. You can add a hint of lemon juice (optional) and stir very well. 
  7. You can use straight-away or allow the flavours to infuse for a while (perhaps 10 minutes.) before use. (Note that the oil may solidify if left for a while especially if you live in a temperate country. Just heat briefly, swirl round to mix the other ingredients then drizzle over your salad.)



Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post