Tsire & Avocado Salad

Funke Koleosho's Tsire & Avocado Salad

I have always thought that Tsire and Suya were two different things but I was wrong! According to my brother in-law who is a Northerner, and a colleague at African Chop, they are one and the same, its just that Tsire is more popularly known as Suya in southern Nigeria.

But though, I have always thought they were different, because when my uncles at the time (many years ago) were hanging out with their friends they would purchase suya (of which I was given some) and this was usually freshly char grilled in front of us;  and served with suya spice, chopped onions and tomatoes.

But then I also remember in those days, that late evenings, from street to street, mallams used to hawk what they called out as tsire on trays with a hurricane lantern placed in the center of the tray to attract customers, I guess. The meat they sold was skewed onto sticks like suya and it did look similar to suya though quite darker (black) in colour, but the main difference was; it was sold and served cold with only some sprinkling of the very spicy tsire mix.

So to me they were different because one was sold and served hot and the other was sold and served cold,,,,,, but now I stand corrected. Don't blame me though, I am a southerner....hehehe

Tsire / Suya is such a popular Northern Nigeria delicacy but is only ever eaten as a meat snack..... but as expected of my inquisitive nature with food, I have taken suya/tsire beyond what it is and have created some exciting salads from this meat. Check out a similar recipe for Suya here.


Tsire & Avocado Salad

Making tsire or suya in a domestic kitchen can only produce a basic outcome, Nothing close to the real thing unless you go all out and make some on an open flame barbecue. If you are unable to do this, just buy some from a tried and tested Mai Suya (Suya seller). Then transform it into something special at home!


What you need
  • Good quality tsire (with no fat or tendons)
  • Suya/tsire spice
  • Cucumber
  • Avocado pear
  • Beet root slices
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Iceberg lettuce
  • Spring onoins

What to do
  1. Prep and clean all the salad ingredients then cut into small pieces.
  2.  Also slice the tsire into bite size pieces. 
  3. Serve all together on a plate. Sprinkle some suya/tsire spice.




Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post