|Funke Koleosho's Stewed Eggs|
This sauce is cooked in a variety of ways adding a variety of meat, fish, or vegetables, or a combination of some or all of these ingredients, as desired.
In some cases, boiled eggs are used in addition to the meat, fish or vegetables. In other cases, the eggs are used solely to replace meat or as a substitute for meat. And why not, eggs serve as a good alternative to meat as a source of complete protein, so there can be some health benefits to this dish. Moreover, using eggs in this manner is also quite common in Indian cooking. There is actually such a thing as egg curry!!!
On occasions, in order to avoid consuming an overload of protein, I tend to use eggs as an alternative to meat in my pepper sauce. That way my digestive system will take a break from processing meat which I understand takes up to 4 days for the process to complete!
Boiled eggs cooked in spicy pepper sauce is a straight forward, simple dish which can be served with rice, pasta, bread or steamed mixed vegetables. Its also ideal for vegetarians (those who are able to eat animal products that it...)
What you need
- 4-6 hard boiled hen eggs. (Boil for about 7 minutes. Set aside to cool. Then remove shell)
- 1 large red sweet pepper (bell pepper or ramiro), remove stalk & seeds. Cut into quarters, wash (you can use more or less. the more used the thicker your sauce)
- 1 small (yellow) scotch bonnet, remove seeds (optional)
- 6-8 medium fresh tomatoes (or 2 tins of peeled plum tomatoes)
- 1 medium size onion, peel and cut into quarters
- 100m1-150ml vegetable or blended olive oil
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2-3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 clove of garlic
What to do
- Place the tomatoes, peppers, onion and scotch bonnet (if using), garlic, in the blender and blend till smooth.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan and add the blend. Add the stock, stir. Add some water, (about 1-2 cups, depending on the amount of stock you have used.) Add also the thyme, curry powder and allspice. Allow to cook for 10 minutes under high heat then turn heat down and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Taste for salt and adjust if required.
- Add the boiled eggs, and stir gently.
- Allow sauce to simmer under low heat for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve with boiled rice, fried plantain and some avocado salad. Can also be served with boiled yam, pasta or bread.
|Stewed boiled egg served with rice & plantain.|