Hummus Style Brown Bean Paste

Funke Koleosho

Hummus is a Mediterranean dish which has found a lot of popularity in the West. I am not too keen on chickpeas (the main ingredient for making hummus) because I feel it is a bit of an acquired taste. Chickpeas being a legume like the more familiar brown beans, I wondered if the beans might be suitable for making a dish similar to hummus. I tried it out and I love the result. I kid you not, the bean paste is really creamy, good and tasty!!!

I am sure you will find more uses than one for this paste when you try it out...really. It was really good eating on its own as well as serving in a sandwich. I tell you this, my hummus style brown bean paste is excellent to make sandwiches or served as a dip. You've got to try it...

Ingredients:
  • 200 g of Nigerian brown beans 
  • 1 small size onion, peeled and chopped
  • 3 tablespoons of water (perhaps more to adjust the thickness of the paste and aid blending) 
  • 50 ml of virgin coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil (oil makes blending easier so choose a really healthy option). Use more or less to enhance the taste and consistency. 
  • Chives for garnishing
  • Chilli powder or Suya pepper mix 
  • Pinch of salt 
  • Black pepper 
  • Pinch of cumin

What to do:
  1. Cook beans with the onion in a pressure cooker until beans are very soft and crumble to the touch. (Do not add any salt at this stage) 
  2. When properly cooked and soft, transfer beans into a blender, add water and oil. Also add salt, pepper and cumin. Blend beans and all into a creamy paste. 
  3. Serve and garnish with some chopped chives and suya spice.

Funke Koleosho
Hummus Style Brown Bean Paste





Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post