In Nigeria, we are all aware of the amaranth greens, locally called tete. Green tete is the most common one, found/sold in every vegetable market and loosely referred to as greens or spinach. Read more about Amaranth Greens here.
- The young tender shoots of the red spinach are great in salads for their earthy taste and flavour as well a the beautifly color thye add
- They also make excellent garnishes, again providing some really pretty color and appeal to food
- As expeceted, they are great in soups and stews to accompany other dishes
- They are great for making side vegetable dishes.
- They can be cooked along with fish or meat
- They are more nutritious than the common green variety; and have incredibly high levels of vitamin A, Calcium, iron and fibre
- They will add variety to your diet
- They are believed to possess a lot of medicinal properties ranging from aiding digestion to relieving constipation, and can be used to combat anemia.
- On a more superficial front, red spinach is believed to help strengthen hair, great for skin and also thought to help with weight loss.